Rant about Re: [lug] worm article

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Thu Jan 18 18:37:20 MST 2001

Perhaps this is a GOOD thing :-(.  Apparently, it removes the exploit
that it uses without opening a back door.  It just a good Samaritan
at work closing security holes.

<rant on>

Seriously, I hope that RH ( and the other distributors ) take the
bad press to heart.  Joe-Six-Pack computer user should not have to
work hard to change the default installation of his OS to close
numerous security holes.  Instead of everything on by default,
the distro's should turn everything off by default.  For example,
why are the nfs utilities on by default in RH 6.2?

Some people have asked on /. whether OS X will hurt linux.  I
think it's a good thing.  A non-MS consumer OS that competes
well against the linux distro's is good for all.

<rant off>

Thanks for letting me say that.

Scott