[lug] Bareline Feeds in FTP.

rm at mamma.varadinet.de rm at mamma.varadinet.de
Sun Jan 21 15:20:00 MST 2001

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 03:08:02PM -0700, John Starkey wrote:
> The way he puts it:
>
> 230 WARNING: 222 Bareline feeds
>
> But I figured he was talking about bare linefeeds. But then it confused
> me. Why would ws_ftp be complaining about linefeeds. It's sending data,
> it's not a text editor or WP. And I don't know what a "bare" linefeed is.

Hmm, i haven't used ftp for quite a while, but as far as i remember there's
a lot of plaintext involved. The first thing that comes to mind:
 Does your friend use binary or ascii mode transfer. Some ftp servers
 or clients try to do file conversion during transfer (so if you send
 a DOS file to an unix server and set the transfer type to ascii the
 server would drop the non-unix carriage returns in fron of the line
 feed characters).

> I do know that Windoze and Unix vary on carriage/linefeed issues. Maybe
> it's related. I just transfered a text file and no errors. (Same server).
>
> Think it would have to do with the WYSIWYG HTML edittor he's using?
> Someone just told me they had homesite set up to save for UNIX. So I was
> thinking it's related to the CR/LF issue.

Maybe he saved his files with the unix line end convention ans his client
program tries to do the cr/lf conversion and gets confused because it
expects cr/lf and only finds lf (wich might be called 'bare linefeed').

Ralf

> So would a bare linfeed be one without the Carriage Return?

I guess