[lug] SuSE vs. RedHat distro differences

Ferdinand P. Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Tue Jan 30 10:38:53 MST 2001

I perceive a key difference between SuSE and RedHat.  I was used to download
everything I ever needed over the Internet.  SuSE seems a lot more CD focused.
There is only one CD (their evaluation CD) available for download.  Useful
utilities like openssh and more are on the "second CD", which you need to buy at
the store.

Is this perception correct or am I missing something here?  At least rpmfind.net
doesn't seem to list many SuSE rpms at all.  So it seems to me that you need to
either rebuild those RPMS if you can or buy the CDs.

Ferdinand