[lug] SuSE vs. RedHat distro differences

Deva Samartha blug-nospam at mtbwr.net
Tue Jan 30 11:45:40 MST 2001

AFAIKS, the whole distribution is on their ftp site under (7.0):
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/7.0/suse/

You should be able to do a recursive download from there.  I have never
done it, so I don't know how an install from a downloaded directory tree
would work.  Diskspace could be an issue too - they have 6 CD's - 600 M
each, so you may be facing 3.5 G of work space.

When it comes out, I think that they put their latest distribution with a
delay to the ftp site - at least, there is no 7.1 directory there right now.

When I do an update under SuSE's Yast over the internet, it preens through
all my files and claims to check the version number or 3000+ packages and
then updates them. All via anonymous ftp, so all their updates are on ftp
and should be accessible.

There is a "update" or "current" directory somewhere.

How  you could build a system by downloading over the internet, I don't know.
I consider the effort of doing it that way to cost more than the $ 60 for
an upgrade CD set.

I think it all boils down to $$$'s - I think they may need to make a buck
on selling their distributions. What was the RH price? I remember seeing
something like $ 180, which may not be a upgrade but for Linux I think it's
steep.

Have you got your ssh running yet?

Samartha