[lug] Re: SB AWE32 Errors

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Jan 30 12:31:14 MST 2001

SoloCDM wrote:

> "D. Stimits" stated the following:
> >
> > SoloCDM wrote:
> > >
> > > "D. Stimits" stated the following:

> > > I didn't upgrade from 2.0.x to 2.2.x.  I overhauled the entire disk --
> > > formatted the disk, installed new OS, which included kernel 2.2.x.  I
> > > incorporated configurations from the old OS by modifying them to fit
> > > the present platform.  I used sndconfig to create /etc/isapnp.conf.

> > It sounds like sndconfig is broken. Is the sound card in fact an ISA
> > slot, plug-n-play card? What are the lines surrounding the error line of
> > /etc/isapnp.conf? I would still guess that sndconfig is reading this
> > file but it is generated by isapnptools (I assume since the file is
> > there and not copied from the old install that isapnptools was
> > installed).
>
> Here's the lines gathered around line 353:
>
> # Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
> # Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be
> changed if required
> # Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy
> #
> (CONFIGURE CTL0044/941569 (LD 2
> #     ANSI string -->WaveTable<--
>
> # Multiple choice time, choose one only !
>
> #     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
> #       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
> #             Minimum IO base address 0x0620
> #             Maximum IO base address 0x0620
> #             IO base alignment 1 bytes
> #             Number of IO addresses required: 4
> # (IO 0 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0620))
>
> #       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
> #       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
> #             Minimum IO base address 0x0620
> #             Maximum IO base address 0x0680
> #             IO base alignment 32 bytes
> #             Number of IO addresses required: 4
> # (IO 0 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0620))
>
> #     End dependent functions
>  (NAME "CTL0044/941569[2]{WaveTable           }")
> # (ACT Y)
> ))
>
> Note: When you reply to this message, please include the mailing
>       list/newsgroup address in Cc: and my email address in To:.

> Signed,
> SoloCDM

This is where I hate line wrapping in email. There are places that I
assume line wrapping has occurred, but am not positive. The other thing
is that it would be nice to know exactly which line is line 353; even
with that, it looks like it will be necessary to see the whole file to
figure it out. The reason I say this is because of the common failure to
have mismatched pairs of parenthesis "()", quotes, square braces "[]",
or curly-braces "{}". If the line directly at 353 doesn't have an
obvious error, then it is the matching of the items similar to
parenthesis that should be checked. Since this file is created entirely
commented out, and then uncommented to reveal the parts that have been
chosen to be activated, it isn't unusual to make an error when done by
hand. If this is the case, the actual error probably occurred before
line 353, and 353 is just the first point that the error could be
spotted at (a symptom rather than a cause, the point of error might not
even be part of the soundblaster area if more than one ISA plug-n-play
card is present). From the modprobe data though, you can see which
subsections should be uncommented: io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5
mpu_io=0x330.

BTW, is this the exact copy of the same file you had in the prior
install? You could use "diff" to compare them ("diff fileA fileB" has no
output if they are exact copies). And no hardware changes were made, not
even the moving of a card from one slot to another?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com