[lug] deny.db message

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Jan 30 12:36:11 MST 2001

"Michael J. Hammel" wrote:

> I just noticed I'm getting a strange notice from outgoing mail on one of my
> boxes.  When I send a message, I get this:
>
>    Cannot open hash database /etc/mail/deny.db: Permission denied
>
> /etc/mail/deny.db looks like this:
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     users           0 Oct 21 01:21 deny.db
>
> I run with sendmail, so maybe this is a sendmail configuration issue.  Note
> that outgoing mail does get sent.  I just get this message with each
> message.
>
> Anyone know how to fix this?
> --
> Michael J. Hammel           |
> The Graphics Muse           |    A hard-on doesn't count as personal growth.
> mjhammel at graphics-muse.org  |
> http://www.graphics-muse.com

Someone else mentioned the zero size. But a second thing to check is if
your users have the ability to read the directory itself. Even if the
file is readable, the directory must be rx (the "." and ".." are meant
literally):
cd /etc/mail/
ls -ald .
ls -ald ..

Should be owned and group root.
chmod 755 .
chmod 755 ..

If for any reason non-root is allowed write to /etc/, be very
suspicious.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com