[lug] Unsuccessful Ping

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Thu Feb 1 11:05:21 MST 2001

I don't get it, exactly.  So you want to check if the circuit is up at
the physical and/or data link layer?  Or you want to check if a host on
the other end is IP reachable?  Or both?  Ping will only accomplish the
latter.  You would then need to do a second test (SNMP perhaps) to test
the line's physical/link status.

By the way, the fping program is nice for scripting, and it may even
allow you to eliminate some of the egreps and gawks ;)

SoloCDM wrote:

> I'm using the following to check for an unsuccessful ping, but if
> the line is open and bottlenecked enough to return a hundred percent
> loss, then the ping will return a false identity.  Any suggestions?
>
> ping -c 4 -R mail.aculink.net > search-opening-data 2>&1;
> MOKAY=`egrep -ie packets search-opening-data | gawk -F " " '{print
> $7}'`; if [ "${MOKAY}" = "100%" ]
>
> Ignore the omittance of the remaining "if" statement.
>
> Note: When you reply to this message, please include the mailing
>       list/newsgroup address in Cc: and my email address in To:.

John Hernandez, Network Engineer --------------------------------------
US Department of Commerce                             tel: 303-497-6392
NOAA/OAR - Mailstop R/OM12                            fax: 303-497-6005
325 Broadway                            e-mail: John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Boulder, CO 80303                               http://boulder.noaa.gov