[lug] Unsuccessful Ping

SoloCDM deedsmis at aculink.net
Thu Feb 1 10:03:51 MST 2001

I'm using the following to check for an unsuccessful ping, but if
the line is open and bottlenecked enough to return a hundred percent
loss, then the ping will return a false identity.  Any suggestions?

ping -c 4 -R mail.aculink.net > search-opening-data 2>&1;
MOKAY=`egrep -ie packets search-opening-data | gawk -F " " '{print
$7}'`; if [ "${MOKAY}" = "100%" ]

Ignore the omittance of the remaining "if" statement.

Note: When you reply to this message, please include the mailing
      list/newsgroup address in Cc: and my email address in To:.