[lug] mount cdrom (fs types)

Atkinson, Chip CAtkinson at Circadence.com
Fri Feb 2 09:57:11 MST 2001

John,

I don't believe you have to mount the CD for Windows installation under
Win4Lin.  I think I have done it both ways, mounted or unmounted.
If you do have to, you mount it with an iso9660 format.  What I do is put an
entry in /etc/fstab like
/dev/cdrom              /cdrom                  iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
mkdir /cdrom
<insert CD>
mount /cdrom

Note that /dev/cdrom is a symlink to /dev/hdc (ide cdrom).

Specifically here's what I did to get windows installed under win4lin.
Under Windows, format/s a: to make a bootable floppy.
Start the installation from Win4Lin by putting the boot floppy in the floppy
drive, put the CD in the drive (I didn't mount it IIRC), follow the prompts
given by Win4Lin and start installing W95 (for me).  I was surprised that I
didn't have to worry about CD rom drivers like I have in the past when I
tried to install just W95 from that CD.

Chip