[lug] booting from RH7.1 iso images

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Fri Feb 2 12:17:31 MST 2001

Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> Scott> Hello, For the first time ever, I'm trying to build a system
> Scott> from downloaded iso images.  I got the RH 7.1 images, copied
>
> (you mean the 7.1 BETA that just came out, right? ;)

Yep, the fisher 7.1 BETA.  I'm trying to get one of HP's new slimline
boxes up.  I thought I'd try 7.1 for the kernel support ( and the fact
that 6.2 installation dies while trying to configure the ethernet ).

> make sure your windows burner software sees the isos as 'image files'
> and not as just a big 650MB file that gets written to cd. You can look
> at the cd's you made and see if they have just a BIG file then it
> treated them wrong. ;(

The CDs look OK when I skim what was placed on them.  In fact, the
machine actually starts the install process, getting past the "enter
your language", etc parts.  Just before the place where you would
typically enter the formatting section, it pops up a screen which
rather ironically says, "Welcome to Red Hat Installation", followed
by a dialog that says something like "There is no Red Hat Installation
disk in the CDROM drive".

> Also might make sure that you got a good download... (check the
> md5sum's on the ftp site against the files you have downloaded, they
> should be the same.

They don't match.... Looks like the files are the wrong size as well.
Guess that explains it.  Can iso files be burned even if they are
incomplete?  I don't know anything about the format.

Scott