[lug] Linux and Satellite Internet Access?

Archer Sully archer at meer.net
Sat Feb 3 17:48:38 MST 2001

"Trever C. Trader" wrote:

> I dont' see why there would be any problems.  Satellite internet like
> anything else uses a standard IP stack for it's communication.
>
> The only problem that I have with Satellite Internet is the fact that it's
> half-duplex with about a 600ms lag time up and down.

The problem is that consumer satellite is one way, and the uplink
is through a modem.  And the satellite people (probably) give you
a special IP stack to accomplish that little trick.  And of course
it isn't available for Linux.

I a few years Teledesic might be up, and that is two-way satellite
with good bandwidth.  It will probably work with Linux even though
Bill Gates is a major shareholder ;-).

Think wireless, although it looks like the Sunshine Canyon co-op
has pulled up stakes ;-(.

-- archer