[lug] [OT] New Mobo Questions

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Mon Feb 5 10:09:12 MST 2001

I'm considering replacing the mainboard in one of my elderly Linux boxes.
Based on discussions in this group and on Tom's Hardware, I'm looking at an
Asus K7A board with an Athlon 800 chip. I think this would suit my needs
pretty well.

But I'm concerned about peripherals, specifially IDE. I have a bunch of
drives right now, I believe some of them are not UltraDMA drives. Somewhere
I thought I read that the ribbon cables for the Ultra drives are different
from those of the earlier drives. I'm worried that my current drives won't
just plug onto the mobo which means investing in drives and spending time
moving data around.

Another question is the power supply and cooling. The instructions on Tom's
Hardware suggest overclocking, something I'm not sure I care to take on
right now. I believe the overclocking is the reason they recommend a 300W
powersupply and an auxiliary cooling fan.

Is this true? Or should I have the 300W power supply plus the cooling fan
if I'm going to run this at spec?

Thanks,
   Mike

Michael Deck