[lug] [OT] New Mobo Questions

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Mon Feb 5 10:58:35 MST 2001

At 10:56 AM 2/5/01 -0700, Bonnell, Doug wrote:
>OK, that makes sense now. You can save a bit on
>the old slot A processors, but not enough to use
>one in my opinion.
>
>As always, there is a "next big thing" that is almost
>available. It's the motherboards that can support
>133Mhz FSB. This DDRs to 266Mhz for the Athlon
>CPU.
>
>The Asus A7v133 is the latest version of the A7v and
>supports 133Mhz. The thing is, you need an Athlon
>CPU that works at 266Mhz. This is the " -C "
>version of the processor and they aren't available just
>yet. Speculation is they will start showing up on the
>market in the next couple of weeks. If the price isn't
>too much more, then a " -C " would be the way to
>go. The motherboard is about $20 more for 133/266.
>
>I'm in the same boat. I have a nice new Antec case
>and I'm waiting for the -C CPUs to showup.
>
>Regards,
>
>Doug Bonnell

Doug, thanks! I'm thinking of doing this ASAP cuz the old box
is a 200MHz Pentium with only 64MB on it and I'm trying to run
IBM Visual Age for Java which is a memory hog. I'd guess for the
difference in processor price I can get more memory at the
slower clock rate. But if this goes well, I've got a couple
of other boxes that I can upgrade later.