[lug] Checking memory (more info)

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Mon Feb 5 23:17:38 MST 2001

Sorry. My question below turned into two. So I'm adding more to the
second.

I have 3 boxes.

233MHz 72Meg w/ 42 gigs of HD
333MHz 64Meg w/ 6 gigs
100MHz 32Meg w/ 1 gig

Right now the 233 is serving everything and the 333 is a gnome
worstation. I wanna move some of the memory hogs in the 233 over to the
100 to clear internal mem for a gnome workstation.

I will be moving the router and firewall over to that machine but I'm
wondering if there are some other things it can handle efficiently as
well. I'm really not that convinced that the router/firewall is eating too
much memory. It appears transparent to me with the net radio cranked and 2
machines surfing constantly.

Would the 100MHz die down if I added apache and proftpd to it's list? They
each will serve a max of about 50 pages a day on heavy traffic days :} and
some ssh/vi editting. I'm not too sure how the memory is handled. If i
have 2 httpd's running how much is that eating up?

Thanks again,

John