[lug] JServ and ipchains

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Feb 7 23:28:00 MST 2001

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 06:36:26PM -0700, Michael Wegener wrote:
>I am trying to set up JServ to run servlets on our Linux (RH6.2) server
>which lies behind our in-house firewall running ipchains. Does anybody
>know how to do this? Is it as simple as I would like it to be?

Using something like pynetd (http://ftp.tummy.com/pub/tummy/pynetd/) on
the firewall will allow you to do port-forwarding in to the internal
machine.  It's quite easy to configure, just set up the config file
to say "Connections on port 80 forward to port 80 on this other host".

Other mechanisms are using the ipmasqadmin stuff (probably requiring a
kernel rebuild and likely tools rebuilt as well), RNAT, and others.

>collective knowledge of Linux/ipchains/Apache is rather limited. I'd be
>happy to pay someone to do it if it would be of reasonable cost, since
>we are strapped for both time and money as well.

We'd be happy to help you if you need.  Give us a call or e-mail tomorrow
if need be.

Sean
--
 If we don't survive, we don't do anything else.
                 -- John Sinclair