[lug] wireless lan problems

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Feb 8 12:27:58 MST 2001

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 11:52:03AM -0700, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:
>I got a D-LINK DWL-650 wireless lan card based on the reports that it works

That's a PrismII chipset, right?  Pick up the latest pcmcia_cs from
ftp.sourceforge.net:/pub/pcmcia_cs

I've got the Addtron cards, which are Prism II.  Note that the wavelan
driver doesn't currently seem to support adhoc mode, so you're limited
to using an Access Point.

The Addtrons actually link to the wlan-ng driver, but that's woefully
incomplete.  Samsung has a driver out for their cards which supports
Adhoc mode, but so far it's the only driver that's actually made my
machine panic.  The wavelan driver in pcmcia_cs seems to be the best
bet, though it does lock up the machine for 15 to 30 seconds during heavy
net load.

I'm hoping to take a look at it and see if I can figure out what's causing
it, but I haven't had a chance to yet.

Sean
--
 "Fixing Unix is easier than living with NT."  -- Jonathan Gilpin