[lug] more wireless lan issues

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Fri Feb 9 09:33:05 MST 2001

HI,
Thanks to Sean's and Kevin's help I got my system to recognize the d-link card.
But things still don't work:

- I downloaded the wireless utilities iwconfig ... and modified my
/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts file.  Now I get lots of error messages whenever I
insert any pcmcia card - but the regular LAN cards work anyway.
I was able to eliminate errors of the type: "modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate
module net-pf-4"  through adding lines of the type "alias net-pf-4 off" into my
conf.modules (modules.conf).
The system however seems to still try running any network card as a wireless card
and set frequency... on my ethernet lan adapter.  Maybe there is a way to tie the
wireless adapter to a different interface than eth0?

- Reading the info on the iwconfig utilities I decided that maybe I should try an
older kernel.  So I downloaded 2.2.18, compiled and installed it.  Again I
installed the latest pcmcia_cs package.  Now I am back to where I was with 2.4.1
- things still don't work.

- using the iwconfig command I tested if I can set individual settings such as
channel and found that I can't.
iwconfig eth0 channel 6     -> results in: SIOCSIWFREQ: Operation not supported.
There are many more errors along this type.

Any ideas on where to go from here?

Thanks,
Ferdinand

--