[lug] CVS question

Michael Wegener wegener at zulaware.com
Tue Feb 13 12:25:51 MST 2001

Does this book ("Open Source Development with CVS") cover the use and
configuration of GUI front-ends, like WinCVS and LinCVS? I had to give up on
using CVS because I couldn't set it up as a server for these apps, and the CVS
list wouldn't answer my questions on it (nor anyone else's w/ the same question).
It was my first experience of an Open Source group being totally unresponsive to
a well-formed question.

Also, do you know of any front ends that handle the new/removed quandary of CVS
where you must explicitly add or remove each separate file? It becomes a real,
unmanageable pain in a rapid prototype development environment where classes can
be pretty transient...

--Michael Wegener

Nate Duehr wrote:

> I'm not sure if it would be easier or not, but CVS itself understands certain
> macros placed in source and can do the timestamping for you, which leaves
> timestamping at the checkin point, not at the user desktop.  (How many
> developers do you think actually check their clocks or run NTP?  GRIN)
>
> They call this "keyword expansion" and a short list of them would be:
>
> $Author$ - person who committed this revision
> $Date$ - duh
> $Id$ - filename, revision, date and author all in one
> $Revision$ - you guessed it
> $Source$ - path to source tree in CVS
> $Log$ - last log entry
>
> There are quite a few more, I recommend Open Source Development with CVS from
> Coiolis OpenPress.  [I seriously "borrowed" from it for this e-mail!]
>
> Much of the book is GPL'ed and used to be easy to find on their web page, but
> the last time I was there they'd kinda messed up their site design (too
> cluttered) and I couldn't find it.  Cover price #39.99 and well worth it.
> Especially if you have to admin a CVS repository and need to understand the
> internals.
>
> I've read the Cederqvist cover to cover, and I like this book a lot better.
>
> Quoting "Scott A. Herod" <herod at interact-tv.com>:
>
> > I've been having emacs time stamp my source files everytime that I
> > save them.  Last night I noticed that if I try to check in copies
> > from multiple places, the time stamp appears as a conflict to CVS.
>
> --
> Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com
>
> "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a 747 filled with CD-ROM's."

Michael Wegener
--------------------- wegener at zulaware.com
President
--------------------- (voice) 303-402-0364