[lug] DHCP?? was new to BLUG, Hello, @Home setup

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 14 17:56:07 MST 2001

With @Home, you effectively get a static IP address, but no promises.  They do provide DNS resolution for C123456-A...home.com.  In the case that your IP changes, their forward and reverse DNS records would also need to changed (presumably via dynamic DNS update methods, which @Home may not have implemented).  Where DNS and home-computer.mydomain.com is concerned, I just use a CNAME record that points to C123456-A...home.com.  Done.  Easy, and all bases are covered.

Contractually, they could change your address anytime; they want the flexibility to re-address and not involve each and every customer, which makes sense to me.  Your contract doesn't include a static IP address.  Even if the installer had the best of intentions, in the (albeit unlikely) event of a change, both you and @Home are going to suffer.