[lug] DHCP?? was new to BLUG, Hello, @Home setup

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Wed Feb 14 18:02:22 MST 2001

> With @Home, you effectively get a static IP address, but no promises.  They do provide DNS resolution for C123456-A...home.com.  In the case that your IP changes, their forward and reverse DNS records would also need to changed (presumably via dynamic DNS update methods, which @Home may not have implemented).  Where DNS and home-computer.mydomain.com is concerned, I just use a CNAME record that points to C123456-A...home.com.  Done.  Easy, and all bases are covered.

I haven't use their DNS name for my IP. On a remote server I have an entry which is pointing to this IP. So a change will throw me for a few days. But I guess the other issue that needs to be brought up, if anyone else is following this, is that in the event of you taking your machine offline and your lease expires at the same time..... somone else could be assigned that IP@ and you've lost it, atleast til they lose it again.

> Contractually, they could change your address anytime; they want the flexibility to re-address and not involve each and every customer, which makes sense to me.  Your contract doesn't include a static IP address.  Even if the installer had the best of intentions, in the (albeit unlikely) event of a change, both you and @Home are going to suffer.

Yeah. It was kinda hush I guess. We knew some of the same people so maybe that had a bit of a bearing ???

I originally hopped between techs and sales on my first @home service because every-other person I spke to gave me a different story regarding static IPs. Several of them told me I could get one.

But regardless, yeah it is a risk, not recommended for a critical app. But for a dev server that's slaving and backing up a main server it's workable.

John