[lug] MRTG and LINUX DNS

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Feb 15 15:39:59 MST 2001

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 05:02:44AM -0000, Stephen G. Smith wrote:
>Well, I use it to monitor everything from router interface traffic
>to cpu utilization, disk space,  and ram usage..
>I thought it would be nice to watch the DNS traffic with a graph
>for a few weeks..

Probably the easiest way would be to set up an IP packet filter to log
port 53/udp packets, then have something that watches the logs and
counts the number of those in a 5-minute period.  Then just write it to
a file for MRTG to read.

Sean
--
 Having been an entrprenuer, I value being a wage-slave in new ways.  I also
 more fully understand why I hate it.  -- Evelyn Mitchell, 1999