[lug] ftp only login

Deva Samartha blug-receive at mtbwr.net
Fri Feb 16 10:38:04 MST 2001

I've tested only ssh since the telnet, rlogin, etc are off.

ssh allows log in with that account but cranks up the nologin program and
exits with the message.

Maybe signals are an issue - but one has to be really quick to get the
brief moment (the program is 2 k stripped) and create a signal and crash
the program - I don't think that's an issue.

with the sendmail receiving email - I am not sure, but with postfix,
aliasing the login name to a nonexisting name bounces the email back,
whereas pointing .forward to a nonexisting user puts it into the account's
email box.

Receiving email
At 08:28 AM 2/16/01 -0700, you wrote:
>This issue is covered in
>         http://www.wu-ftpd.org/wu-ftpd-faq.html
>
>See http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/ftponly/ftponly.html
>for an example script.
>
>The issue the FAQ mentions, which we've run into, is that putting the
>ftp-only user's shell in /etc/shells caused sendmail to also accept
>mail.

..