[lug] ESS ES1868 Detected but won't init.

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Sat Feb 24 15:28:45 MST 2001

I'm trying to set up an old sound card i had laying around as my first
time with Linux and Audio. It has an ESS ES1868 chip in there.
Everything points to this being Sound Blaster compatible so I compiled
that into the Kernel and set the cards IRQ to 5 (which is open).

dmesg is returning:

Soundblaster audio driver Copyright......
sb: ESS ES1868 Plug and Play Audiodrive' at i/o 0x220, irq 5, dma 1, 3
ESS chip ES1868 detected
sb: ESS ES1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive detected
sb: Failed to initialize ESS ES1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive
sb: 1 SoundBlaster PnP card(s) found

In Windoze (dual boot) the thing is running and I've got sound.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

John