[lug] pda

Deva Samartha blug-receive at mtbwr.net
Thu Mar 1 19:16:20 MST 2001

After seeing a Palm Pilot and a Psion side by side, I was not able to
befriend myself with anything lacking a keyboard, Windows CE (HP Jordana ?)
was not an option and I ended up with a Psion Series 5 about 2 years ago or
so. Currently, I am using a Psion Revo which lacks some of the features of
the 5 but fits in a pocket and does it's job very well.

It runs Epoc OS which is  multitasking but of cause, proprietary and mostly
sitting in ROM and has basic things - spreadsheet, word procesor....

I am sure somebody was able to port Linux to a Psion at some point but what
kind of applications are available - I dunno.

It can do NFS (kind of) file sharing with Linux over serial cable (I got it
to work on the Series 5 with file conversion to and from Psion native
database format for an aplication) but I use the software which came with
it (M$oft platform) for backups.

To have real computing power with low power consumption, maybe Transmeta
needs to be the CPU supplier.

The Series 5 runs for long time on 2 AA batteries, the Revo has a battery
builtin.  The Revo nuns $ .3 k and the Series 5 around $ .5k.

Maybe it helps?

Samartha