[lug] Cutting and Pasting..

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Mar 2 17:33:04 MST 2001

John Hernandez wrote:

> Amen.  I'm constantly frustrated by this, too.  Most of the time, when I don't need to hold things in the buffer for very long, I just use the highlight + middle button to paste trick.  But cut/copy/paste buffers seem far from consistent between apps.  I guess the problem stems from the basic UNIX philosophy of freedom to choose toolkits and so forth.  Both a blessing and a curse.  I won't even attempt to propose a solution.  Sigh...

I'd have to agree with it also, I hate some of the key combinations.
Historically, there was no inter-application dedicated communications
service. One of the ideas behind the ORB server of gnome is to provide
such a universal means, but it won't help except for applications that
participate in it. With gnome the means is there, but all the old
applications that were built before gnome existed, and for those that
don't want to be strictly gnome, it is a problem. Then there is the
conflict with some of the standardized command line meanings, versus
what has been learned from Windows and elsewhere...control-c has
typically meant to send a kill signal on command line UNIX, while it is
copy in Windows. I think a lot of older apps that added clipboard style
functionality (such as Netscape) ended using alt instead of control to
avoid overriding the old control-c meaning. There doesn't seem to be
much benefit to this altered keybinding, and I also wish it was
consistent; I dislike Windows, but I think the keybindings there make
more sense.

I think CDE and KDE have something similar to gnome's ORB, not too sure.