[lug] Setting Emacs default location with GNOME/Sawmill

Ronald Kumon kumon at boulder.nist.gov
Wed Mar 7 08:53:43 MST 2001

I've run into a little problem running GNOME & Sawmill with Red Hat 7.0.
I set up my desktop so that it has 4 viewports in a 2x2 array.  I'd like
to have emacs start up automatically when I log in and be located in
the lower left viewport.  My display resolution is 1024x768.
In the GNOME Control Center, I set the Startup Programs to have the line
     /usr/bin/emacs -geometry 80x50+3+773
thinking that this would do the trick, but emacs always opens in the upper
left viewport.  What's stranger still is that I also have
     /usr/bin/netscape-communicator -geometry +1029+3
in the Startup Programs, and this does work to put netscape in the upper
right viewport.

I also tried setting the emacs geometry in my .Xresources file
     emacs*geometry: 80x50+3+773
but this also seems to be ignored.  Other emacs resources set in the same
file (color, font, etc.) are set just fine.  How can I set the default
position?
--Ron Kumon