[lug] Upgrading AMD *

Bonnell, Doug DBonnell at BreeceHill.com
Thu Mar 8 13:57:11 MST 2001

The answer, of course, depends on what you want to do.
You will get two things from upgrading to a K6-3 processor:

     1. On chip cache memory. Will speedup somethings, esp.
        code with tight loops. The code can stay in cache where
        the processor can get at it faster.

     2. Increased CPU speed. As you've noted, 550Mhz vs. 333Mhz.

K7 processors come in two flavors, the slot A Athlons and the new
socket A Duron/Thunderbird. If you stick with your old motherboard,
then you are limited to the Socket 7 processors, K6-2 and K6-3.

The K6-3+ is a "mobile" processor, it runs are reduced power levels,
supported by a core voltage of 2.0v or less. The regular K6-3 will
have a core voltage above 2.0v, probably 2.2v. I just installed a
K6-2 550Mhz processor with a core voltage of 2.2v.

Check you motherboard to see what core voltages it supports.

It would help to know what motherboard you have.

Hope this helps,
Doug Bonnell