[lug] email list archiver thingy

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Mar 16 12:07:43 MST 2001

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 09:28:02AM -0700, J. Wayde Allen wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Andrew Diederich wrote:
>The BLUG stuff is already web searchable
><http://archive.lug.boulder.co.us/>.  That could satisfy at least part of
>your goal.  The Procmail filter combined with Mhonarc is a reasonable

The BLUG archive technology is MHonArc with a small script (I don't have to
use procmail since I'm running QMail), and ht://Dig for the searching.
I'd probably look at using mnoGoSearch if I were doing it again, but
I'm not.

I have a simple script that stores the mail in a directory named based on
the current date (year/month).

For that functionality, you might want to look at my "autoarch" program.
It automaticly handles archives except for the searching.
ftp://ftp.tummy.com/pub/tummy/autoarch, IIRC.

Sean
===================
autoarch README
$Revision: 1.11 $
tummy.com, ltd.
Copyright (c) 2000 Sean Reifschneider, tummy.com, ltd.
All rights reserved.

autoarch FTP:    ftp.tummy.com:/pub/tummy/autoarch/
autoarch EMail:  <jafo-autoarch at tummy.com>

INTRODUCTION

autoarch is meant to allow easily setting up mailing list archives.  Once
set up, e-mail sent to "user-autoarch-archivename at domain.com" will automaticly
create the archive (if it doesn't exist) and add the message to it.  An HTML
index will be created, up to date as every message comes in.

You want searching?  I'd recommend making sure that your autoarch page
is hit by Google (http://www.google.com/)...

autoarch requires a number of things to work:

   Python (http://www.python.org/ -- RedHat Linux and many others include it).
   QMail (http://www.qmail.org/)
   MHonArch (http://www.mhonarc.org/)
   PHP (Optional, only for auto generating index pages)

If you have the packages above (KRUD includes them all --
http://www.tummy.com/krud/), installation should take one minute.

INSTALLATION

1) Copy "autoarch" into your personal or system binary directory (~/bin,
/usr/local/bin, etc).

2) Make sure that the first set of lines in autoarch are correct for your
setup:

   os.umask(0022)
   archBaseDir = './autoarch/'
   defaultRotateFreq = 'monthly'    #  daily, monthly, weekly, yearly

3) Make the autoarch directory (assuming defaults above): mkdir ~/autoarch

(optional)
4) Copy the "index.php" and "template-index.php" files into this directory.

5) Create a "~/.qmail-autoarch-default" which contains:

   |/path/to/autoarch

(optional)
6) Set up your web server to allow access to this directory.  For Apache, this
should do the trick:

   Alias /autoarch/ "/usr/local/lib/autoarch/"

7) Send a test message: date | mail $USER-autoarch-testarch

(optional)
8) Try viewing the archive at http://localhost/autoarch/
If this fails, do you have mhonarc installed?

CONFIGURATION

If a file ".frequency" exists in the "autoarch/listname" directory, that
can include "daily", "weekly", "monthly", or "yearly", which will select
how often the archives are split.  I'd recommend that you select the
volume that will get you no more than a thousand messages per split.

No removal of old archives are done.  You'll have to do that manually
at the moment.

If the file "autoarch/template-index.php" exists when an archive is created,
that file will be copied to the new archive directory.  This file should
display a list of the available archives sections.  A simple example is
provided.

The "autoarch/index.php" file should create a list of the available
archives.  A simple example is provided.

LICENSE

autoarch is Copyright (c) 2000 by Sean Reifschneider, tummy.com, ltd.
All rights reserved.

jafo-autoarch at tummy.com
ftp:///ftp.tummy.com/pub/tummy/autoarch/

autoarch is Open Source Software (www.opensource.org).

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

0. Copyright Inclusion: All redistributions of source code must retain the
above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

1. Free Redistribution: autoarch may be redistributed by anyone for a
fee or for free as a component of an aggregate software distribution
containing programs from several different sources.

2. Source Code: autoarch includes source code, and must be distributed
with source code. If it is distributed without source code, tummy.com, ltd.'s
ftp site must be mentioned prominently as the location of the source code.

3. Derived Works: Works derived from autoarch, or modifications to
autoarch must be distributed under the same terms as this original license.
4. Integrity of The Author's Source Code: Any works derived from autoarch,
or modifications to autoarch must be distributed as source and "patch"
files. This is to ensure that changes made to autoarch are clearly
specified as such, and the authorship of such changes is clearly identified.
Patched versions of autoarch must use a name which identifies them
as such.

5. No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups: This license applies to
everyone equally, and does not discriminate in any way.

6. No Discriminiation Against Fields of Endeavor: This license applies to
all uses in any field of endeavour equally.

7. Distribution of License: This license, and all rights associated with it
is assigned upon redistribution of autoarch without the need for
execution of an additonal licence by those parties.

8. License not Specific to a Product: The rights attached to autoarch
do not depend upon it being part of any specific distribution or product,
and specifically prohibit the restriction of this license based on being
part of any entity.

9. Advertising Requirement: All advertising materials mentioning features
or use of this software must display the following acknowledgement:

      This product includes software developed by tummy.com, ltd. and its
      contributors.

10. Neither the name of tummy.com, ltd., nor Sean Reifschneider, nor the
names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
from this software without prior written permission from tummy.com, ltd.
or Sean Reifschneider.

DISCLAIMER

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY tummy.com, ltd., Sean Reifschneider
AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY
AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL
tummy.com, ltd., Sean Reifschneider OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
(INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
--
 Electricity travels a foot in a nanosecond.
                 -- Commodore Grace Murray Hopper