[lug] ls -l /var/tmp = drwxrwxrwt 16 root root 1478656 Mar 19 10:38tmp

Bob Collins bcollins at fpcc.net
Mon Mar 19 23:05:52 MST 2001

When I did as Sean suggested and ran "find /tmp | less", I
got
a much different output.  /tmp/kfm_500_2193BCollins_0.0 was
typical of the 2198 lines that I get when I ran it.  I ran
it without thinking.  I should have run "find /var/tmp |
less".

I was finally able to look inside /tmp with mc (midnight
commander).  It shows 12 directories which have the
structure /susehilf.xxxxxx where xxxxxx = upper and lower
case letters mixed with numbers.  The files date from August
of 1999 until July of 2000.  I have been removing the oldest
directory, /susehilf.vCR5nO for over an hour and a half.

The directory I was deleting is now deleted and I still show
the same amount of free disk space as before I removed it.

The real culprit is the approximately 73,600 "taper"
temporary files (backup software).  I sent a note to the
developer of taper ask if I did something wrong or if he has
a fix for what happened.  The files are from a single backup
of my system.

I am interested in comments and ideas especially about the
/susehilf.xxxxxx directories.  If the 11 directories each
take an hour and forty minuets to delete, it would take a
long time and they don't seem to take up much space.

--
   Regards, Bob Collins
People often find it easier to be a result of the past than