[lug] CGI Generated PDFs and MS Explorer 5.5 Problems...

Ryan Kirkpatrick linux at rkirkpat.net
Tue Mar 27 22:06:31 MST 2001

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, D. Stimits wrote:

> First thing I would have to wonder is if people upgraded IE without
> upgrading the pdf ActiveX component. There is a possibility that the pdf
> component also needs a matching upgrade (whether or not such an upgrade
> exists).

	Hmm... That is an interesting idea... I have Win98 with IE5.5
using as a test system (actually is a VMware system :), and I just
upgraded it using Windows Update.

> In the code below, I also wonder if something happened where it now
> fails to interpret the "\n" notation, now requiring the Windowsism of
> "\r\n". Where you have:
> > print "Content-Length: $bytes\n",
> Try making each \n as \r\n.
>
> The reason I grasp at something so silly and improbable is that you said
> the two were identical. What remains are the non-printing characters,
> such as newlines.

	Good idea, but unfortunetly it does not work... After modifying
both my test script and the full CGI script to use \r\n as the line
terminator, I am still getting the exact same behavior.

<...Pause as I download the newest Win98 Acrobat reader and install it...>

Well, Adobe had a new a version (4.05c vs old 4.05), but it did not help
the situation anyway. Guess I am going to have to implement Michael's
suggestion of serving static pages. Thanks for everyone's help
anyway. TTYL.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |