[lug] CGI Generated PDFs and MS Explorer 5.5 Problems...

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Wed Mar 28 03:10:12 MST 2001

One thing that I can tell you from experience is that IE 5.5 ( and I assume
lower) looks more intently upon the URL extension than the mime type.

For example:

that sets the mime type to be application/excel

will not work. You have to have the file name be file.xls

The work-around is to create the file in a directory and re-direct the browser
to a URL with the correct extension. Yet another example of MS not following
the RFCs.