[lug] Linux education/classes

celttechie (Brian Jarrett) celttechie at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 10 11:27:32 MDT 2001

I personally don't have a desire to sit through classes for any reason.  I
am most interested in getting my hands dirty and learning by doing.  I know
quite a few other people who are this way as well.

I've had this idea for quite a while about a business I would like to start
but don't have anywhere near the capital to do so.  I would like to start a
"learning lab" where I would have PCs and network equipment available for
people to rent by the hour or day and come into the lab to learn by working
with the actual equipment.
I got this idea when I was thinking about my own needs for a home lab to
practice working with Cisco equipment.  Many, like me, probably don't have
the cash flow to just drop several thousand dollars for a basic lab or for
classes where they would have limited access to such a lab.

A self-paced lab is one of the best learning environments to learn because
you  can screw it up and do it over and over again without worrying about
dropping a production network.  If you then took a setup like this and had
employees there that could answer questions when someone got stuck and to
maybe teach classes for those that really wanted it, you would have a full
service learning environment.

If we are supposed to crank out many more IT professionals here in Colorado
over the next several years I think a setup like this would be the best way
to do it!

Just my two cents,

Brian