[lug] Installing X on Debian 2.2.r2

Sam Rosenfeld sam at wdn.com
Thu Apr 12 17:36:39 MDT 2001

I get error messages when I try to start X with "startx".  I have tried to fiddle with my XF86Config file without success.  The most frequent error msg is:"...socket problem: cannot connect: error 111."  Even with a virgin Debian installation I couldn't get X to work.  My system is fairly simple-- an AMD K6 450MHz chip, 6 gig HD, 96meg of RAM, and an Intel 740 video card (which is in the list that is shipped with 2.2r2.).  Can I reinstall X without disturbing the rest of my installation?
If this is too simpleminded for this group, can someone suggest where I can find some help.

Thanks much.

sam