[lug] newbie seeks www

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Wed Apr 25 08:04:34 MDT 2001

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> Yes, you need an ISP.  The Linux friendly part is a bit hard to define.
> The ISP usually only cares if you are planning on asking them how to
> configure your Linux box.  Linux is able to communicate with any ISP that
> uses a standard dialup interface.  You'd only have problems if you wanted
> to use an ISP that has a proprietary interface.  For instance, I think
> that AOL's dialup connection requires that you run their software, so that
> means that they probably aren't a choice.
>
> I'm a bit hesitant to "recommend" an ISP to you.  There are a fair number

Since I'm not any kind of LUG official, I'm NOT afraid to recommend an
ISP.

I've been using FPCC for about 18 months now, and I'm pretty happy with
them.  In addition to the usual stuff (email, news, nationwide dial-up
access), you also get a shell account (reachable via telnet (shudder) or
ssh (yay!)), and 10 megs of storage. FPCC uses open source software
exclusively (IIRC), BTW.

Anyway, I'd suggest you give FPCC a try, FWIW.

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)