[lug] Netscape temp email files

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 27 10:33:29 MDT 2001

John Hernandez wrote:

> I get an occasional glitch with Netscape where it won't refresh the display properly or  it runs away with my precious memory and CPU cycles.  But those are mostly minor problems that have their remedies, and they seem worse under Gnome (versus KDE) for some reason.  Since switching to Linux (from Solaris), I can't remember ever having Netscape spontaneously combust and take my work with it.
>
> Tell us about your distro/desktop versions.

I'm running Red Hat V6.2 with Gnome that came with 6.2 and whatever errata/updates that have been released on the Red Hat site.   When Netscape "fails" on me, it does what you described above.  All the system resources go to 99.9%, and I end up with blank Netscape (won't refresh?) windows.  I've tried letting it run it's course, but it has never come back.  The only solution I've found is to
kill the process, and then I've lost any email I'm composing.

Here and there Netscape will run away with sys resources for no apparent reason, but most of the time I'm viewing web sites.  When it messes up my email, I'm typically browsing for info to include in the email.

I don't want to get too carried away with this, as I suspect I'll be putting together a new system in the coming 2-4 months, but if there are a few easy things to try, I'm game.

Cheers,
Gary