[lug] Big Brother taking over!

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Apr 29 23:02:10 MDT 2001

Deva Samartha wrote:

> Just after I reflected my QWEST DSL service in comparison to Northpoint and
> other failed ventures, I ran across this:
>
> http://slashdot.org/articles/01/04/30/0010244.shtml
>
> which points to:
>
> http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/svfront/msn042701.htm
>
> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010426/tc/tech_microsoft_qwest_dc_1.html
>
> Looks as if they will be pushing M$oft TV down the pipe and I bet they will
> retard everything else but their services if they get it up anyway.
>
> It looks as if QWEST.net's is being replaced by MSN and if one does not
> like the switch - hit the road again.
>
> are there any alternatives out there servicing Longmont?
>
> currently, I am paying $ 85 for a 600 k ADSL with 8 static IP's, DSN is
> funky at times with QWEST but otherwise i have no complaints.
>
> Earthlink wants $ 120 for 144 k ADSL and doesn't even service Longmont.
>
> What a pain!
>
> Samartha

That's very saddening. I had hoped that one day I'd have DSL available,
but I have serious doubts about being forced into MSN for it. In the
same sense that phone line providers now have to offer various
opportunities for long distance competition, maybe it is time that phone
companies not be allowed to contract out monopolistic use of the same
circuits for Internet providers. If they want to provide exclusive use
of phone services for only one ISP in DSL (Microsoft), they should
become regulated again. I guess I'm just as distrustful here as you are.
I wonder if the Public Utilities Commission will be taking input on this
subject?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com