[lug] Big Brother taking over!

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Mon Apr 30 10:40:17 MDT 2001

At 09:13 AM 4/30/01 -0600, you wrote:
>is DSL necessary for some reason?
>
>checkout www.sprintbroadband.com
>It is a RadioFrequency (2.4ghz range, is that still considered RF?) wireless
>technology that is available throughout the denver metro++ area that costs
>(after pricey setup fees) $45/mo.
>
>I've seen their unique diamond shaped 'dishes' all the way from north
>longmont down to southern highlands ranch.
>
>I believe the garaunteed bandwidth is something like 256kbs up and 512kbs
>down (with download ranging up to 5mbs). I've heard the variation comes from
>their overall bandwidth usage. Since it is RF, I don't believe you are
>sharing quite like with a cable modem, but one person at work hear thought
>there may be something going on with the 'sharing' of frequencies.
>
>They offer commercial services as well but the website doesn't offer much
>explaination about what that gives you.

Does anyone actually have experience with Sprint's commercial service? I am
pretty unhappy with my IDSL service (144K) and was interested in broadband
wireless but, looking at Sprint's acceptable use policy for the commercial
service it says you may not

1.1.21. run programs or servers that provide network services to others
through the Services
                    which includes, but is not limited to, web hosting,
multi-user interactive forums, game servers,
                    operating an internal mail/http/ftp/irc/dhcp server to
serve external connections or support
                    multi-user interactive forums;

This pretty much cuts me out. Also they say that 512 down is 'typical'
which feels like euphemism.

-Mike