[lug] Linux 'dc' command

carl wagner carl.wagner at level3.com
Mon Apr 30 13:35:04 MDT 2001

Control Z suspends a program  and puts it in the background.  Try typing
"fg" to get it back to the foreground, then type "q"<enter> to quit dc (which
as
several people have said is Desktop Calculator).

Don't use Control Z unless you really want to put them in the background
(suspended). And if you do indeed want it to run in the background then you
will need to do a "bg" after the control Z to reactivate the process.

Or better yet just use the command format "{command} &" or "nohup {command}
&"
which automatically puts the "command" in the background.

You may want to look at job control in your shell. Try "man bash" "man bg"
"man fg"
Carl.