[lug] Hacker Challenge - chk out: http://victim.cylant.com/

jafo at tummy.com jafo at tummy.com
Tue May 1 17:27:39 MDT 2001

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 06:18:18PM -0500, charles at lunarmedia.net wrote:
>i am far from a hacker, but this should not be much of a challenge. his
>bind version has a lot of cracks available for root access:

We got called by these folks, apparently their product is something that
hardens a Linux box, like LIDS, so that having such vulnerabilities
available doesn't actually compromise the box.  Considering the other
challenge within the last month for something similar on Sun was cracked
the same day it was announced, I believe that they just haven't gotten the
right people interested...

See, the other one was announced the first day of a large security
conference, and somone broke it that day.  Imagine the bad press.

Funny thing was, we developed a system that was meant to withstand similar
sorts of attacks, but we didn't believe that it was "unbreakable".  Just
that it was better, but that you still shouldn't run a vulnerable bind...

Sean
--
 Her eyes were like two brown circles with big black dots in the center.