[lug] Linus's response to Mundie

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Fri May 4 11:30:28 MDT 2001

People aren't asking Microsoft to open its source or pursue any such policy, and I don't forsee them being "forced" to do so.  Slashdotters and others simply ask that Microsoft not bully competitors with its (legally established) monopolistic advantage, and compete with other OS products (free or not) on a level playing field.  Perhaps the GPL really does pose a threat and a barrier to entry, which is why there's no MS Office for Linux.  If MS is eventually split (OS and apps), we'll find out the truth about that theory.

On another related topic, I recently considered the likeness between Linux and Ralph Nader's impact on the recent presidential election.  Could Linux generate enough momentum (and marketshare) to damage the anti-trust case against Microsoft (GWB's parallel in my analogy), effectively helping the "evil empire"?  Just some food for thought.

-John