[lug] Newbie X-window questions

carl wagner carl.wagner at level3.com
Wed May 9 18:39:19 MDT 2001

If you ssh to a box you DONT want to set the display.  If you do you will
likely break it so that you can't display X things.  Make sure your display
variable is set before you ssh.  Then ssh and look at your display.  It should
be of the form:
hers:10.0
as ssh is creating a tunnel for X. (notice that it is 10 and not 0).

If this is not working try
ssh hers -X
To enable ssh forwarding.

Carl.