[lug] Newbie X-window questions

Glenn Murray gmurray at Mines.EDU
Thu May 10 10:05:50 MDT 2001

Eureka! This worked:

    mine$ ssh -X hers
    hers$ xterm &
    hers$ emacs &
NO: hers$ netscape &

A little xterm window popped up!  Better, when I typed 'emacs&' in
either window I got an emacs which thinks it is on hers (because it
is, right?)---an emacs whose display I presume is "tunnelling" through
ssh, so my editing is secure.  Other X apps I tried worked, too.
However, when I type 'netscape&' all the windows lock up (including
emacs and xterm).

I should probably point out that I'm not up to nefariousness: both
"hers" and "mine" are mine (in the sense that I am root on both).  I
just wanted to understand this X-Window/ssh business better.  My
thanks to all of you who wrote to help me out.

Special thanks to Tony for broadening my mind more than I expected.
Next time when I type "Newbie" in the subject line he'll really
believe it.

See you tonight,
Glenn Murray
www.mines.edu/~glenn/public_html/Welcome.html