[lug] Longmont DSL?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat May 12 08:47:37 MDT 2001

Viggy wrote:

> There are some areas that can get DSL.  Like Ken said, get a neighbor's
> number, or your own and check QWest's WWW page.  I happen to have two
> whammys against me.  I live in a new neighborhood, that's about 100ft (or
> so) over the limit, and Qwest decided to run fiber into my
> neighborhood.  So, basically, I'm SOL.

The problem with using a neighbor's phone number isn't for location, but
because of heavy use of line filtering (this cuts bandwidth in half for
a 56k user, and totally removes dsl ability). If your neighbor had an
unfiltered line long ago, it probably remains unfiltered; meanwhile, new
phones require filtering due to lack of lines (they split the lines in
half and charge for two, though each person will only get half a line).
DSL is available over most everywhere in Longmont, but lines that are
unfiltered are rare in several neighborhoods.

I'd go with sprint broadband, but the latency is too much for me (and
the 3+% packet loss too). The south side of Longmont is far enough away
from any radio relays that I couldn't even hope for the good connections
that people who are closer can expect.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com