[lug] help with mp3 encoding

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue May 15 23:32:09 MDT 2001

"S. Luke Jones" wrote:

> I've had trouble with my mp3 encoder producing core files rather
> than mp3 files in the past. I just upgraded from 6.2 to 7.0 and
> saw that KRUD comes complete with gogo, so instead of fetching my
> own copy of (not)lame, I just used that.
>
> I still got too many core files (3 out of 64 files I was encoding
> last night) which makes me wonder: am I the only one who gets these,
> or do any of you mp3 encoding people also see a lot of core files.
> (I do most of my encoding overnight, but I did see in the xterm
> buffer that one was due to a segmentation fault.)
>
> Can anyone give me ideas to pursue? Is this a problem with lame
> and gogo, or my machine? If the latter, it must be HW since I just
> changed all the SW.
>
> (Interestingly, I only did 65 out of about 85 files, because early
> on, gogo created an mp3 file 2147483647 bytes long, which you will
> of course recognize as the decimal representation of the magic
> number 0x7FFFffff.  This is particularly interesting since the input
> file was a mere 56 MB. I suppose it would have kept going if Linux
> hadn't got in the way and truncated it. Maybe I should switch to
> the 2.4 kernel, or reiserfs, or whatever it is that lets me have
> bigger files.)
>
> --
> Luke Jones = luke/vortex/frii/fullstop/com

I don't know the actual application, but one of the first things I do in
such cases is to see if I have the proper supporting libraries. If you
run "ldd" with the name of the program as argument (cd to the directory
of the program first, or else use the full path), it'll give you a list
of what library versions it requires; then, as root, find out what
library versions are offered by the system...run "ldconfig -p | sort |
less", or some variation of that. If there is a mismatch, you should
probably try to compile the source distribution so it'll be sure to link
against the right version...source rpm's are nice for that if available.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com