[lug] LaTeX and distilling to PDF

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Fri May 18 14:14:46 MDT 2001

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Todd Ruskell wrote:

> You can always turn your eps figures into pdf.  If they're generated
> with xfig, use the pdf export option instead of eps.  Or, you could
> try to pstill the graphics into pdf.  Another option would be to use
> pstoedit to convert your eps to fig, and then use fig to save as pdf.
> I'm sure there are other possible routes.

Yes, I discovered the epstopdf package today.  (I seem to be learning a
lot about this topic today actually <grin>.)

> pdflatex will read pdf graphics just like dvips reads eps graphics.
> For regular latex and dvips, I use
>
> \usepackage[dvips]{graphics,color}

Yes, OK ... the problem I had with this is that I've been using psfig
instead of graphics.  I replaced the lines like:

\begin{figure}
   \centerline{\psfig{figure=Transmitter.eps}}
   \caption{Block diagram of the RF Transmitter}
   \label{fig:transmitter}
\end{figure}

with

\begin{figure}
   \centerline{\psfig{figure=Transmitter.pdf}}
   \caption{Block diagram of the RF Transmitter}
   \label{fig:transmitter}
\end{figure}

but as I kind of expected psfig burped.

Yes, I'm aware that psfig is deprecated it is just what I originally got
used to.  Looks like it is time to figure out the updated graphics
package.

> For pdflatex, I simply remove the [dvips] option.

What does this option do?

> \includegraphics{filename.???}

OK so my figure entries would then change to something like the following?

\begin{figure}
   \centerline{\includegraphics{Transmitter.pdf}}
   \caption{Block diagram of the RF Transmitter}
   \label{fig:transmitter}
\end{figure}

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)