[lug] Norton roached my Linux partition

Archer Sully archer at meer.net
Fri May 18 21:52:03 MDT 2001

B O'Fallon wrote:

> I've tried setting up my partitions with PM (you'll need version 4 or
> 5 to do this) and then installing Linux, but this doesn't seem to
> help. I've finally gone to keeping the two OS's on separate drives,
> with Windows on the first drive and using Boot Magic to select which
> OS to boot.

I used PM to make my partitions, but never bothered with Boot Magic.
Instead I just set up lilo.conf to boot the loader found at the windows
partition.  This was for NT, I don't know if it would work for
Win9x.  I didn't have any problemsm with this setup, except that
after a while I noticed I was never using NT, so I eventually
blew it away to reclaim the space for Linux ;-).

> The two OS's just don't seem to mix on the same drive.

I don't think this is true, but you do have to rely on
LILO to do all the work, and forget about BootMagic or
other such things.

Archer Sully
Boulder, CO