[lug] Recovering a Mime/base64 encoded file

Eric Kilfoil ekilfoil at viawest.net
Fri May 25 23:31:23 MDT 2001

ROT13 is much different than base64 encoding.  ROT13 is an "encryption"
method for modifying plaintext characters.  All it does it rotate the
character value by 13 (hence rot13).

For example, A become M, B becomes N, C becomes O, M becomes Z.  (this may
not be conversion, but you should get the jist of it).  Linux used to come
with utilities to do rot 13.  It actually become part of the standard BSD
games package :).

Base64 takes binary data and converts it from a base 2 representation to a
base 64 representation, which is much different than rot13 obviously.

There are problems available which do base64 decoding.  They are also
fairly easy to write.

Here is software to do this task:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/base64/

Regards,