[lug] Recovering a Mime/base64 encoded file

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Sat May 26 01:59:06 MDT 2001

>>>>> "John" == John Karns <jkarns at csd.net> writes:

John> On a few ocassions I have come across situations where I would
John> like to recover a base-64 encoded file segment, but have given
John> up.  In the latest case, I have a segment that begins:

seriously consider migrating to a user agent (mail or news) that groks
MIME.  it's an internet standard, after all, and most major UAs do
handle it.  (what doesn't anymore?  /usr/ucb/bin/mail?)

having said that, you can usually pipe it through "mmencode" or
"mimencode", maybe with a particular flag for decoding instead of
encoding.

in addition to all the stand-alone tools to handle this, there are
also modules available for popular programming languages to handle
this as well.

t.