[lug] Writing supervise scripts

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Sun Jun 3 21:51:52 MDT 2001

To the best of my knowledge supervise is not meant to be used with
daemons or any kind of background processes.  Zombies is what you will
get - that is what I remember from Bernstein's documentation.  Supervise
is designed to run applications and the moment you run them within
supervise they go into the background.
Why aren't you using inetd (or xinetd) and inittab to run your system
daemons?  You can use respawn in inittab if you are worried about
processes dying.

Finding documentation for supervise is like pulling teeth although I
remember looking at some of the examples to be quite helpful.

Ferdinand