[lug] RH 7.x word of caution

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Jun 6 13:27:28 MDT 2001

As it turns out, the /etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains script on RH 7.1 (and
probably anything "2.4.x kernel ready") fails to mention when ipchains
is deactivated due to lack of kernel support. If you are booting up, you
will not get a failure message from your ipchains startup script when
the kernel does not support ipchains. You must manually test it as root
via "ipchains -L", and see if it lists rules, or states:
ipchains: Incompatible with this kernel

After reviewing some logs, and discovering this (despite using current
software that is overall configured right), I am tempted to completely
fdisk my machine just because I've been running without ipchains
(thought I thought it was running) for about two weeks now. Anyone using
a RH 7.x box with ipchains and any kernel other than the stock supplied
RH kernel in the 2.4.x series should manually run "ipchains -L" and test
if your ipchains is really active or not.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com